Three people have been confirmed dead, while three others were hospitalised, as cholera broke out at Oke-Gada in Ede North Local Government of Osun State on Monday.
Our Correspondent gathered that the sudden death of beggars in the area caused confusion, as some residents suspected food poisoning.
A resident said: “About 12 beggars have been hospitalised after some of them died. It seems they were poisoned because we have never experienced such an incident in our community before.”
Another resident, who simply identified himself as Dare, said: “I got to know about the issue on Monday evening, I learnt that some beggars took food from an unknown person and after that some of them died, while others were hospitalised.”
Health Commissioner Rafiu Isamotu told reporters: “The government has taken samples of those hospitalised and those that have died to know the cause of the incident.”
When our Correspondent contacted police command spokesperson Mrs. Yemisi Opalola, she disputed the allegation of food poisoning.
Said she: “The Divisional Police Officer in Ede visited the Seriki of Hausa in the community over the incident, because they did not report the matter to the police. The Seriki informed him that it was cholera outbreak and not food poisoning.
“Three people have died, while three others are in hospital. We are investigating the matter.”
The Seriki of Hausa community, Gambo Ibrahim, hailed the swift intervention by the state government over the matter. He said the death was not caused by food poisoning as speculated, but cholera.